If an Indian tribe, worked through each of the bureaucratic process while using Bureau of Indian Affairs and could build an internet casino in downtown Enid, would you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos around the state, you almost certainly run into people you know from Enid, partaking within the recreation furnished by the casinos. These are the same some people that have left our town and therefore are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping with the stores, eating in the restaurants, and staying in the hotels inside area.
A brief history:
The power to run bingo games was among the many concessions designed to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person designed a bingo game that looked like a slot machine game. We supply seen the small digital bingo card on the top corner in the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos begun to spring up everywhere. After all, you were still playing bingo, just in a very new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact involving the tribes and the State of Oklahoma allowed the usage of Vegas style slot machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and they are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino are only able to be built within historic tribal boundaries and after that placed in a very trust with all the U.S. government. Since Enid does not have any casino, would be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it absolutely was found, that prior to the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part from the Cherokee Outlet, occupied through the Cherokee people pursuing the Treaty of New Echota along with the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the spot was a hunting ground of the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us as being within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive facets of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are delivered to operate tribal governments and programs due to the citizens. In addition, a portion of the revenue is split with the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes make use of the revenues to enhance infrastructure.
3. Related places of interest are built.
4. Jobs are created.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found that over 80 percent with the visitors to casinos were enthusiastic about also doing something other than gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions for example family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian people.
10. Casinos provide a magnet for outside money that did not previously exist.
11. Local resident who used to travel outside from the area now stays within the region.
12. More construction jobs are created building casinos.
13. Gambling is an accepted means for governments to increase funds. It is seen as a source of money that is easier to obtain because it's not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the next businesses showed an increase in profits, attendance, and customers after an online casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more regularly
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative aspects of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes an addiction.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time invested in useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amounts of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James here B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes may also be influencing gambling along with other policies affecting Native Americans by handing large sums to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is definitely an increase inside following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is known as an action addiction. When gambling, the endocrine system, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more regularly, it brings about tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, therefore it takes more gambling and stakes, to obtain the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling lights up the human brain the same manner cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If a casino were to petition arrive at downtown Enid, what can be your opinion? Do you think it might enhance our community or bring social problems organic beef not want to handle?